Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Society - Room 1
  • » Should abortion be legal? by Snow_Dog
  •    Pro life or pro choice?

I am uncomfortable with the idea of abortion, but I firmly believe that it should be the woman in question's choice, and she should be able to get one in a safe place. No one is proud of it, but it's better than hoping for an adoption or chaining your life back because you have to care for a child.

Edit

#81 2012-02-28 11:02:01

United States    rj313

Re: Should abortion be legal?

@SgtPeppers 

Its pretty much mandatory that sex ed is provided. Even without this teaching, if you know how to have sex, chances are you know theres a risk of pregancy. Theres even places in the US where you can walk in, get a form of birth control, and walk out, no questions asked.

#82 2012-02-28 03:41:09

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

My point is that limiting abortion rights can ruin the lives of people, all for the sake of cells. Before the second trimester, the "baby" is no more significant than the millions of skin cells that are shed every day, which with some minor laboratory manipulations have just as much potential for life as those cells.

Sam Harris, a neuro-biologist, has pointed out that approximately half of all conceptions spontaneously abort, they fail without the woman ever knowing she was pregnant, another quarter of the remainder result in miscarriages (most of which can occur within days and without the woman being able to distinguish it from her period). Pregnancies fail more often than not, thus it is even less moral to force a person to carry a baby they don't want, since the only reason they got pregnant was because they lost a numbers game.

#83 2012-02-27 16:43:45

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

Well there the problem is not abortion right but the laws about not guilty recognized defendants.

#84 2012-02-27 14:32:09

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

There is a certain stigma around rape cases, even if the person were to recant after they had the procedure, people might assume that she was intimidated into it. If you are charged with a severe crime, you would no likely longer be able to travel to the US, which if you are a Canadian business man would ruin you. This does not occur, however it would if you removed abortion rights.

#85 2012-02-25 23:18:36

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

Well it's not the way things are in Russia.. Making false accusation make you loose all credibiliy and then, good look to find a job or to loan money.

You're telling me that any good canadian guy that help everybody can be accused of rape by it's ex-girlfriend and then see his life being ruined because of a crime that he have been recognized not guilty of?

Last edited by NikoLStak (2012-02-25 23:29:23)

#86 2012-02-25 19:46:16

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

In the case of rape, it is not hard to lay a false charge, all they would have to do is say they were threatened and it immediately is considered rape by the legal system. Then all the accused can do is say that she is lying, which is not much of a defence. Even if the charges did not stick or were dropped after the procedure, they would still have a record of the arrest and would likely be unable to get jobs in any number of fields where such a charge would be relevant, which is all of them.

#87 2012-02-25 08:33:44

Earth    NoiseFree

@NikoLStak 

You show amazing faith in the concept of law.  Anything false can be proven to be true if you can fund a big enough lawyer and facts can be re-written if necessary.

#88 2012-02-25 07:14:55

Russia    NikoLStak

@SgtPeppers 

A woman cant prove that she have been raped... It will only make false accusation and the bitch will only spend money on a cause she cant win.

#89 2012-02-24 19:53:32

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NikoLStak 

I think I have said this before, but if you say "people who had consensual sex cannot have abortions", then you open the option that desperate teenagers will start screaming "rape" in order to qualify for the exception. If you give a large number of people the option between ruining their life with a child or laying false charges to avoid it, I think that some will take the latter option, especially if they are stressed. I think that the risk of ruining innocent peoples lives trumps the rights of cells.

#90 2012-02-24 19:46:19

Canada    SgtPeppers

@rj313 

I would agree, but you make the assumption that these people have all the knowledge they need to prevent it from happening. In the US, that is an unreasonable assumption because many your schools taught abstinence only for nearly a decade, and many schools (especially Catholic institutions) still do. If a society is open about sex, its abortion rate plummets, because teenagers aren't running around behind their parents back and are instead getting advice that they need. If the US were more like Europe, the problem would be negated.

#91 2012-02-24 16:58:51

Russia    NikoLStak

@rj313 

I totally agree. A girl that can't keep her legs togheter should not be autorized to abort.

Specific rules should be applyed for the abortions and then, making this operation legal in resonable circumstences.
Human or not, killing a baby(even uncomplete, it is destinated to be human) is a murder. This can't be autozed because of major negligence from the woman.

#92 2012-02-24 07:30:50

United States    rj313

@SgtPeppers 

I can totally understand it in the case of illness prevention, and rape.  What bothers me about abortion is that it is used as a plan b. "don't worry about being safe, if it comes to it, we can abort it"
That's the thinking that makes me cringe. Those abortions are founded on nothing but irresponsible thinking and selfishness. If someone chooses to have unprotected sex at the age of 16, they should live with that choice. When someone chooses to kill somebody, they live with that choice, they cant make another choice to completely make it go away. That's the way i feel about it.

#93 2012-02-24 07:30:41

United States    rj313

@SgtPeppers 

I can totally understand it in the case of illness prevention, and rape.  What bothers me about abortion is that it is used as a plan b. "don't worry about being safe, if it comes to it, we can abort it"
That's the thinking that makes me cringe. Those abortions are founded on nothing but irresponsible thinking and selfishness. If someone chooses to have unprotected sex at the age of 16, they should live with that choice. When someone chooses to kill somebody, they live with that choice, they cant make another choice to completely make it go away. That's the way i feel about it.

#94 2012-02-23 22:48:41

Canada    SgtPeppers

@rj313 

First, your statement about pain at 14 weeks is just not accurate. You also fail to account for the fact that 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions:
1.Account for a tiny percent of abortions
2.Are usually only performed for the sake of maternal health or if the baby will be severely disabled

The fact that the pro-life lobby always hones in on these cases just shows that they know that they cannot reasonable argue against 1st trimester, so they simply ignore it and pretend that they are all like the horror stories they have been told.

The point you make about no one wanting abortions to take place is a valid one, that is why the term is pro-choice rather then pro abortion. That is why I favour in depth sex-ed starting at a younger age and available contraception, so that people will rarely have to exercise this right.

#95 2012-02-23 10:39:19

United States    rj313

diagree
abortion sucks, i think, well would hope that everyone can agree to that. weather your for or against, it is a very emotional thing. i personaly dont agree with it, but we need to get real here (talking to pro choicers) after about 13-14 weeks, the BABY feels and responds to pain. They can feel as we feel, whe there grabed and riped apart by a pair of forceps. your dam fuckin right it hurts. and that is just plain and simple cruel and unusal. I personaly hate every idea of abortion but if they found a painless way to do it before 14 weeks, it would be a little more humain, and partial birth abortions. thats all cruel, fetus or baby, it feels that. how can anytone say thats okay?

#96 2012-02-04 15:54:20

United Kingdom    depresser

@SgtPeppers 

Kk, well I read that in freakonomics. But sorry for stealing your point.

#97 2012-02-04 10:22:42

Earth    NoiseFree

@SgtPeppers 

OK.  Sorry, I'm not an extraordinarily fast writer.  Best plan is just Google 'anti abortion'.  I got 'about' 111,000,000 results.  Happy reading!!!

#98 2012-02-04 06:57:48

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

Only one, but I am an extraordinarily fast reader.

#99 2012-02-03 16:36:35

Earth    NoiseFree

@SgtPeppers

How many lives do you have to read the list? 

Last edited by NoiseFree (2012-02-03 16:36:57)

#100 2012-02-02 17:12:11

Canada    SgtPeppers

@NoiseFree 

Whats not to like?

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com