Current events  
 Religion 
 Technology 
 Countries 
 Politics 
 Society 
 Other 

There are currently no top
rated posts : don't forget you can "thumb" up or down posts.

Website intro. Please login or register (it's very fast and free).

• Index
  • » Military - Room 1
  • » Greatest battle in history? by irishgenius
  •    Which was the most awesome battle in all history?

I think it was the battle of Thermopylae.But what about You?

Edit

#41 2011-12-01 04:14:02

Australia    PatrickDup

Re: Greatest battle in history?

@SgtPeppers 

The Battle of Britain and D-Day. Okay I agree that they are definately up there. But you do know that despite the great job the Brits and Canadians did, the Yanks fought good too and had it hard and didn't actually do bad so much as they had more difficult terrain to deal with such as the cliffs on Utah beach.

#42 2011-11-30 13:49:34

Canada    SgtPeppers

@PatrickDup 

I posted them near the beginning, although I must say that placing 1 over the others is difficult and would require further criteria that have not yet been provided.

#43 2011-11-30 06:53:23

Australia    PatrickDup

@SgtPeppers 

Thanks. Good to know mate. What are your opinions on this? Your battles.

#44 2011-11-30 06:51:25

Australia    PatrickDup

@depresser 

Well to be fair to Boudica, after she went back on her late husbands deal with the Romans, Roman soldiers raped her and her daughters all in the same room. That is what lead her to be so cruel and to rebel against the Romans.

But she was a typically barbarian type leader. All she knew for battle was to charge as you stated. But that is all the Celtic Britons and the Celts as a whole knew anyway so I would say she wasn't any worse than other celtic leaders of the ancient world.

#45 2011-11-28 22:15:34

Canada    SgtPeppers

@depresser 

Well said

#46 2011-11-28 19:07:20

United Kingdom    depresser

@CaptainCook 

Boudicca was a terrible leader. She just had one tactic. Charge. It was a result of this tactic that the Romans defeated the Briton force at Watling street with a force of 10 000 against the Briton 100 000. A crushing defeat, one that would guarantee Roman domination of the area for centuries. Also, before her uprising, she and her people were considered friends and allies of Rome. She benefited from this enormously, however, when she defaulted on the deal her husband made with the Romans before her death, The Romans made sure that the deal went through. She then rebelled and lost. Her people would never be treated the same. Because of her, The Romans were more harsh to the Britons and far less merciful. Aid also stopped. She was undoubtedly one of the most disastrously rubbish leaders in history.

#47 2011-11-28 14:14:06

Canada    SgtPeppers

@PatrickDup 

I agree that all those battles are up there on the list.

#48 2011-11-28 14:11:45

Canada    SgtPeppers

@CaptainCook 

If I recall, she was eventually defeated by the romans because her forces lacked the cohesion and discipline against the super-diciplined Romans.

#49 2011-11-28 13:15:37

United Kingdom    CaptainCook

Strangely enough one of the greatest leaders in battle was a woman, Queen Bodecia led several ancient British tribes to war against the Romans and almost suceeded in defeating them.

The Queen herself was of The Iceni tribe ( Norfolk ) and allthough the ancient Britons at that time were fairly primitive compared to the Romans, they were a warrior race and defeated the Romans in several great battles, namely Colchester and London, the ancient Britons showed no mercy and were quite cruel to anyone who got in their way.

The Romans suffered several defeats at the hands of Bodecia and came close to losing Britain as a province of the Roman empire.

#50 2011-11-28 08:26:13

Australia    PatrickDup

@SgtPeppers 

I think the one with the greatest odds would be the Battle of Gaugamela between the Macedonian Greeks and their allied greeks under Alexander the Great and the Persian Empire Forces under Darius. 50,000 or so Greeks against 250,000 Persians and subject peoples. The Greeks won and ensured the pre-dominance of the Greeks for the next 150 or so years and the spreading of Greeks and Greeks culture across the Mid East and Asia Minor.

The one with the greatest historical impact would have to be either the Battle of Tours Poiters between the Arab Moor Muslims and the Franks under Charles Martel (Charles the Hammer), which saved White Christian Europe from Arab Muslim conquest, or one of the two Seiges of Constantinople which were both won by the Byzantines and which ensured the safety of their Capital and the survival of that empire for more than another 700 years, and therefore safegaurded White Christian Europe from Muslim Arab invasions for another several hundreds years.

From a nationalistic point of view I would say that the Battl of Heraclea which shows the superiority of the Macedonian Greek Pike Phalanx and associated formations and units over the Roman Legions and which illustrates the Grek King General Pyrrhos' skill in battle against a race that was always hard to beat, e.g. the Romans.

#51 2011-11-28 02:17:27

Canada    SgtPeppers

@CaptainCook 

Looking at "Roukes Drift" on Wikipedia, it appears that very few of the Zulus were armed with rifles, which means that the Brits fought against a technologically inferior force, in fact it read a lot like the battle of Guadalcanal, where many of the Japanese were slaughter while charging the US Marines with swords against machine guns. It does not strike me as England's finest hour, which brings me to another contender, The Battle of Britain during the Second world War is likely near the top, as is D-day (Mostly the British and Canadian beaches, as Omaha was a disaster and Utah avoided a massacre by shear fluke)

#52 2011-11-27 23:01:02

United Kingdom    CaptainCook

Some contendors

The people of Malta during the Second World War - The Battle of Roukes Drift whereby around 150 British / Empire forces repelled about 4000 Zulu Warriors - and for the sake of SgtPeppers, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham which secured the foundations of modern day Canada, and which incidentaly could not have been won without my namesake Captain Cook who mapped and charted the waterways for mister Wolfe.

Ironic that many great millitary leaders of the British Empire were Irishmen, not many people know that "Monty" was of Irish blood from County Donegal.

#53 2011-11-27 20:02:24

Canada    SgtPeppers

@irishgenius 

Depends what you mean by "greatest", if you meant longest odds then I might agree with Thermopylae, i you meant most important historically then I might say one of the battles in the American revolution, which if they had lost the US would have stayed a colony. If you were thinking on a more nationalist view, I would say Vimy ridge. If you were not excluding nonmilitary "battles" I might cite the fall of the Berlin wall at the hands of citizens, or perhaps the battle of wills that was the cold war. The list goes on and on.

#54 2011-11-26 22:59:58

Ireland    irishgenius

Greatest battle in history?

I think it was the battle of Thermopylae.But what about You?

Board footer

Created by AFL, powered by FluxBB
© 2011 theworlddebating.com